Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader book. Happy reading Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader Pocket Guide.

Unfortunately, his handwriting looked like hen tracks instead of penmanship. Undeterred, he began to practice his handwriting until it was beautiful. This dedication helped him to earn money by writing greeting cards, wedding cards and legal documents. Eventually, he reached his goal of working at the bank and was also a penmanship teacher at a university. Throughout his life, President Grant faced challenges and conquered them. He was an excellent example of dedication and determination. This biography by Bryant S. Hinckley highlights the life of this great leader and is sure to be a cherished addition to any library.

View more products by Bryant S. My Life Behind the Spiral. Steve Young , Jeff Benedict. McCune, but he accepted it as a home for the school of music. This home became the McCune School of Music and Art, while he himself preferred to live in a very humble cottage. It was under his administration that the Tabernacle Choir Sunday broadcast over nationwide radio networks was instituted. He helped musicians, he has encouraged the organization of choirs, he has sponsored the Tabernacle Choir in several trips to California and Chicago and authorized the Church Music Committee to establish courses of instruction for choristers and organists throughout the Church.

He was indeed a friend of the divine art of music. He never criticized other men's weaknesses but made war on his own. That practice has in it the very essence of personal growth. Self-analysis and self-discipline are the twin virtues that underlie individual development. He engaged in criticism of himself but not of others.

Grant proceeded with boldness to play a large role in the economic history of his people. He was a pioneer in industry, second only to Brigham Young. Pioneering in industry requires much the same sturdy qualities that pioneering new lands requires: Grant had all of these qualities. A boyhood associate, Heber M. Wells, said this of him: His personal credit, his unquestioned integrity, his super-salesmanship brought capital to the aid of the Church, the community, and private enterprises. In times of panic and in times of plenty Heber J.

Grant has been able to raise a few dollars or millions where other men have failed to raise any amount. This has been done largely by his personal guarantee and persuasion. He has never repudiated or failed to pay a dollar of obligation for which he was directly or indirectly responsible, legally or morally, and the result is that today, as during all the many decades since he was a young man, he can walk into the offices of executives and directors of great financial institutions in America and be affectionately greeted by men who are proud to know him as a friend and a leader of financial industries.

He fostered every enterprise that he thought would aid in making the people independent and self-sustaining. His interest in local business undertakings is shown by the number of enterprises in which he was engaged. Ranching, cattle -raising, vinegar-manufacturing, soap-making, bee culture, merchandising, implement business, sugar industry, livery business, insurance, banking, brokerage, newspaper business were among his ventures.

He never was engaged in any business that was not stimulated by his connection with it. Nor was he ever engaged in any business or enterprise that was not worthy of public support. His motives were to help the people, create employment, advance the interests of the Church, and build up the community. In many of these enterprises he hoped to make money.

He loved to make money. Not for selfish purposes but so he could share with others, so he could foster worthy causes and help those who deserved and needed it. His purposes were always commendable, and his business associates were of high repute. Banking Prominent among the great enterprises with which he was actively identified was banking. Before he was twenty-one years of age, he was made assistant cashier of Zion's Savings Bank.

Brigham Young was then president of the bank as well as President of the Church. The bank was in its infancy, and in addition to filling the office of assistant cashier, Heber J. Grant was janitor, paying and receiving teller, note teller, and bookkeeper. This is what he said about it: I said so many good things about you at the directors' meeting that if I refused to sign your bond they would accuse me of not telling the truth.

My carriage is waiting for me. He died in a few days. Wells, the first governor of Utah under statehood, retired from the city recorder's office, he expressed regret to President Grant that he had not learned more about business instead of spending his time working for the city. Grant as president and Heber M. But through circumstances beyond human control its life was short and precarious, for the year following its organization the panic of got under way. Its president, Heber J. Here is the account of it as he dictated it: He smiled and said, You are going East on a very difficult mission.

I went out with a feeling of perfect assurance that I would be successful. He laughed and said: Your bank is as well fixed financially, if not better, than ours. Young man, let me give you some advice. You go home, call all your banking friends together, and decide to lend a little more than would be considered strictly safe, and the money will circulate around and come back into your bank again, and you can take care of your own bank.

He did not even invite me to come into the bank. I stood outside of the counter. He smiled at my asking him for a loan and declined to cash these two notes. He said, Young man, have you read the morning papers? Millard of Omaha had given. I told him I would stop on my way home and tell him where I got the money. Would you mind giving me a sheet of paper? You know my signature; your bank solicited us to open a bank account. You do not seem to know how to treat a customer decently. I will tell you how we do business in the wild and wooly west. If a man offers us a note, if it does not suit us, we let him talk to our committee and see if he cannot furnish some additional securities or endorsements so we could be justified in making the loan.

Give me another piece of paper, please, and I will write a letter to your committee. When do they meet? They have never failed to meet their obligations from the day the institution was organized. They are not in distress financially; their notes will be paid. Our bank is in distress because of the panic, and the notes belong to our bank. We bought these notes without endorsement but knowing there was a panic on, I endorsed all of the notes, and I got twelve other directors to do the same, so you have the endorsement of thirteen men on these notes, and these men are worth more than a million dollars.

Now if you want some more endorsements, I can get them for you. Zion's Cooperative Mercantile Institution with all-seeing eyes in the corner, and 'Holiness to the Lord' printed over it? That is good for sore eyes. When I was the third assistant cashier of this bank, it was my business by instruction of the president to purchase commercial paper that was for sale, and I was instructed to buy all the notes offered of Zion's Cooperative Mercantile Institution, and I haven't seen one of their notes now for about ten years; they have got in a position where they do not need any help from us.

  2. Achieving a Goal - liahona.
  3. Full text of "Heber J. Grant : Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader".
  4. Offertorium de b.v. Maria Alma Dei creatorius, K272a (K277).
  5. Numbers, Their Occult Power And Mystic Virtues.
  6. Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader.

We must not fail to buy these notes from Mr. Chaflin and Company and asked Mr. John Chaflin if he would not cash five of Z. It will be a pleasure to do that for you, Mr. Grant, you have never done any business with our bank, and we have all we can do to take care of our customers. Hills, the president of Deseret Bank, is on the back of these notes, and he is your customer, and he has written to you suggesting that you buy some Z. I have got all of the directors guaranteeing them.

I won't split hairs with you. Kindly wire at my expense to H. Grant, we want you to sign this note. Just before going to the train to go home, I received a telegram: After I got home, it was not needed, and therefore it was never borrowed. When I got to Omaha, I stopped and told Mr. He immediately telephoned to the vice president and manager of the Union Pacific Railroad and said: I cannot remember his name at this late date. Grant demonstrated his capacity to meet any emergency. Through his heroic endeavor, and against the most fearful odds, he prevented banks from being forced to close their doors when dieir deposits were melting like snow under an August sun.

In the Utah State National Bank w T as created through the consolidation of three banks, the State Bank of Utah being one of the three merged institutions.

  • Best Penmanship - liahona.
  • Heber J. Grant : highlights in the life of great leader.
  • The Blood of Renegades (The Loner series)!
  • Society on the Line: Information Politics in the Digital Age.
  • Product Description;
  • Taken by the Tentacles Bundle (Complete Four Book Series).
  • .
  • Grant for his helpful influence. Under his leadership it grew steadily in resources and influence until it became one of the strong banks of the country. For years he was president of the Utah State National Bank. He knew banking and the service which a sound bank should render and was a staunch supporter of this great enterprise in the state of Utah. This was the first factory in America to be erected with American-made machinery by American workmen. The establishment of that sugar factory marked the beginning of an industry that has brought millions of dollars to the West and added value to every acre of land near a factory.

    It owes its very existence to Heber J. Grant and President Wilford Woodruff. This factory was situated in Lehi. The contract was given to C. Soon after this contract was signed, the panic of came, and many of the subscribers were unable to meet their commitments. In January, , a special committee was appointed to complete the factory. Grant, then thirty-five years of age, was made a member of that committee. This was his introduction to the sugar business.

    It was a significant day for that industry when he became identified with it. No other individual in the state of Utah gave to it so generously of his money and of his might. Had it not been for his great ability, his resourcefulness, his faith and confidence in the enterprise, it would have failed. The manager of the bank there had formerly managed their branch bank in Salt Lake City, and I was at one time his personal friend.

    Heber J. Grant: Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader

    He told me that it would be impossible to lend the money, a thousand miles away, on local security, and in the midst of a panic. I told him he had believed in me as a boy, and now I wanted him to believe in me as one of the fifteen men managing the Mormon Church. He said, 'My boy, I would be glad to lend you the money, but my loan committee would not approve my doing so. Wads-worth, the Mormon Church will be alive when you and I are dead.

    You have asked for a margin of five, you can have a margin of ten. Three of the men were out of town, and only two of the thirty declined, and David Eccles, who overheard a discussion preceding their decline when I solicited their signatures, said, 'Heber, I overheard your story, is my name one of the thirty? It will be a pleasure to endorse his note and tell President Woodruff that if he wants and cannot get renewal of these notes, I will take them up, and he can pay me in one year, five years, ten years, or whenever it is convenient.

    During the postwar crisis of the beet sugar industry was again in jeopardy. It required re- financing, and Heber J. Grant secured the necessary aid. Of this circumstance, he said: Subsequently a suggestion was made that the government, which, through the War Finance Corporation, was taking care of cotton raisers, ought to take care of the beet growers. Eugene Meyers was in Salt Lake City arranging for loans to stockmen, and the suggestion was that the government ought to finance the beet growers. Rolapp, who was then the president of the Amalgamated Sugar Company, Mr.

    Carlton of the Holley Sugar Company, Mr. The Great Western and the Holley did not need any money, and we appreciated very much the presence of the officials of these companies being with us to vouch that the security which we offered would be good. I have already converted the President of the United States that you are entitled to all you want. Meyers, the head of the War Finance Corporation, and said, 'Mr. Meyers, President Grant and his associates have here an enterprise that is entitled to all the money they want.

    We used nine million dollars and a fraction, and it was all paid back in a year. Grant as services of this kind: For more than fifty years, Heber J. Grant was a steadfast and loyal friend to that great basic industry. When others lacked faith and lost courage, he never faltered in his support of the sugar industry and lived to see his vision and his foresight rewarded by abundant harvests to investors, farmers, factory workers, and all connected with it.

    Insurance Life insurance is a business of great magnitude. It touches the lives of half the people and most of the families of the nation. When it was almost in its infancy, Heber J. Grant had the vision to see the great part it was destined to play in the world and to become actively interested in it. Of all the enterprises in which he was early engaged, this was his first love, and it held first place in his affections to the day of his death. He believed that it was the highest expression of wisdom for a man to provide some insurance for those dependent upon him.

    This principle was a great factor in winning his constant loyalty to the insurance business. He began in the insurance business as a clerk in a fire insurance office when he was sixteen years of age. A few years later he purchased the business from his employer who was moving to San Francisco. On December 11, , he effected a partnership known as the Heber J. This company represented at one time all classes of insurance, including life.

    He wrote as high as a million dollars of life insurance in one year, which was a large amount for those days. At the same time he organized a life insurance company known as the Home Life Insurance Company, a running mate for the fire insurance company. The fire insurance company is still operating, being licensed in a number of states and is one of the oldest companies west of the Mississippi River. The life insurance company continued for three or four years but, owing to difficulty in converting the people, the company finally dis-incor-porated.

    President Grant believed in life insurance next to his religion. Upon the death of Joseph F. Grant became the president of the company. His desire always was to give his own people a maximum of protection at a minimum cost. He believed the insuring public should have their protection as inexpensive as consistent with safety. He did not aim to build a great institution, but to maintain in a sound financial condition those companies with which he was connected.

    Heber J. Grant : Highlights in the Life of a Great Leader

    He had all that it takes to make a great insurance agent. Grant when he was a young man speak in the Tabernacle. Hyde was greatly impressed and stopped after the meeting and said, "Mr. Grant, I have inquired your name. I am Henry B. Hyde, and my specialty is finding life insurance agents. I have listened to a natural -born agent today and I want his service. President Grant told him that he gave his time to the Church and could only work twenty-four hours a week on insurance.

    Even this was satisfactory to Mr. Hyde, but the offer was refused. One of the President's objections, which he did not then state, was that money was worth six per cent in New York and three or four times that much here. In fact, loans were made at two per cent a month, and all insurance premiums paid here would be sent to the East. Hyde said to him, "I am going to make you one of the wealthiest men in Utah. It had a better net reserve than the biggest companies in the world. This wizard in the insurance business recognized in Heber J.

    Grant the qualities that go to make a really great insurance man. Haws, his lifelong and steadfast friend. I've known you from childhood, and you are my first choice for that position. Colonel Haws felt that he was making a very great mistake. The man who was appointed to the position, Mr.

    Subsequently he left the insurance company and went with J. Pierpont Morgan and Company who paid him a quarter of a million dollar salary and gave him an interest in the business. President Grant, commenting on this, said, "The officials of the New York Life told me a year ago when I called at their office that is what I might have received if I had stayed with the New York Life. The chairman of the board said, 'Mr. He got a million dollars a year dividend for ten years from the company as his share of the business.

    At that time Heber J. All of these extra assignments took of his time and energy, but never for one moment did they encroach on his real assignment as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, an institution of far greater scope and significance in the world than all the insurance or bank companies or industrial organizations, an institution destined to prevail as a master influence in the world. From the time he was twenty-five years of age up to the age of forty, he engaged in many business enterprises of which no two were alike.

    They covered a variety of fields. Grant initiated many enterprises and made a substantial contribution to the industrial growth of his community. In his autobiography he wrote. Richards, a half interest in the Utah Vinegar Works at Ogden. In I purchased Mr. In my vinegar works were destroyed by fire. Grant, and George T. Odell, for the purpose of dealing in wagons, machinery, and agricultural implements.

    This became a strong and prosperous business and for many years paid a substantial dividend to its stockholders. As a result of the depression of it was placed in a receivership and was finally liquidated. He purchased ninety percent of the stock of the Salt Lake Herald. With the assistance of Horace G.

    His daughter, Lucy, has spoken of another enterprise. The Grant soap was far better than any other laundry soap. We wrote hundreds of letters and enclosed folded circulars telling about the merits of this soap. All other soaps were banished from our house, and the Grant Laundry Soap was used for everything. He only wanted others to do what he was willing to do.

    Ivins' journal contains the following reference to the organization of the Mojave Land and Cattle Company: The steers, brought from the Shivwit Mountains, about seventy-five miles south of St. George, were the finest I had ever seen in our country, and I was attracted to that part of the country by this fact.

    I finally bought the part of the Shivwit Mountains owned by the people of Washington County, Utah, and known as the Mojave Ranch, with several hundred head of cattle. This ranch and cattle I subsequently sold to B. Saunders improved the ranch and did some fencing and put on a large number of cattle.

    He also incorporated the Mojave Land and Cattle Company. He owned all of the stock. I then interested my cousin, H. Hardy, all of Salt Lake City, to invest with me in the enterprise, and we bought Mr. I was made manager of the company, and we started in business with good prospects for success. Ivins was called to go to Mexico.

    Under his wise management it paid the stockholders annually a substantial dividend. It was one of the profitable enterprises in which Heber J. Referring to it, he said: Ivins, was called to go to Mexico. He had been marvelously successful in running ranches. He and I owned half of a fifty-thousand-dollar ranch that for years paid a twenty-five percent dividend regularly. The panic had come on and some institutions in which I had money were not paying dividends.

    The twelve -tliousand-five-hundied dollars I owned in this ranch was paying an interest at six per cent on fifty thousand dollars of my debts. He is going right where the Lord wants him to go, and you shall have the exquisite joy of welcoming him back into this room of the Temple as an Apostle of this last dispensation. And this promise was fulfilled.

    Heber had implicit confidence in the judgment of his cousin and a profound admiration for his ability. Anthony Ivins was four years his senior and one of the ablest and most beloved men that this state has ever produced. The President's affection for his cousin was like that of David for Jonathan — he loved him above all other men, and well he might have done.

    These men were both distinguished for their generosity and their humanitarianism. They were different in temperament, but each seemed to complement the other perfectly. Consequently, they made a strong team. Heber was brilliant and spectacular in action — fast to move to conclusions, and courageous almost to a fault. His honesty and integrity were stainless. Ivins knew cattle and horses and birds and flowers and men, and loved the great outdoors.

    He was refined in his tastes and in all respects a most estimable and companionable man of sound judgment and goodness of heart. Time will work many changes, and when all the business institutions and enterprises with which Heber J. Grant was connected have passed away and are forgotten, his name will shine in the records of the race, as a great President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — the institution to which he gave his undivided heart and to which he consecrated his time, his talents, and his affections.

    During the territorial days Heber J. Grant was elected a member of the Utah Legislature, and in was a member of the city council of Salt Lake City. No doubt he could have been the first governor of Utah under statehood had he chosen to accept the honor. As a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, he felt it unwise to aspire to the governorship of the state. He cherished this offer on the part of his friends most highly. He regarded it not only as a personal honor but also as a vindication of his mother's judgment in accepting the hard lot of the people of her faith rather than the comfort and security offered by her brothers in the East if she would renounce her religion and stay with them.

    He wanted to show them that she had chosen wisely. The idea made a great appeal to him; but if it involved a choice between his allegiance to his Church and to the state, if it conflicted with his duty as a Church leader, he would rather forego the political honor, no matter how great. His decision in this regard, which was a hard one to make, reflects great credit on him and is convincing proof of his allegiance to the Church. He lived to see the wisdom of his choice completely confirmed. When he was forty years old, the age at which his father had died, he was frail, and his life's expectancy was none too promising.

    He was six feet and three-eighths of an inch tall in his stocking feet and weighed one hundred thirty-five pounds. However, at that age he had made two momentous decisions. Greed for wealth and thirst for earthly power are the besetting sins of ambitious souls. He had cast both of these aside. The first to go was the love of wealth.

    It came earlier, at twenty-four, when he accepted the call to go to Tooele; and the tempter came again when Henry B. Hyde said to him, "I am going to make you the wealthiest man in the state of Utah. His second great decision was made when, at the age of forty, he refused the offer of the governorship of the state. Back in this question was put to a member of the Presiding Bishopric, "What part has President Grant played in safeguarding the assets of the Church?

    He set his face like flint against contracting obligations greater than the revenues would justify and has nurtured, protected, and greatly enhanced its assets until today the Church owes not one red cent; but on the contrary, it is the owner of much real estate and other valuable investments of gratifying magnitude. Individual happiness and national well-being center there. Home building is the highest of the fine arts, the master job of mortal men and women.

    In no other way did Heber J. Grant show superior craftsmanship than in the selection of his companions and the creation of his homes. At one time he had three of them, and each was a center of faith and a refuge from the turmoil of the world, a haven of peace, confidence, and love. Briant was one of the pioneers who arrived in Salt Lake Valley, July 24, He was then unmarried and twenty-four years of age. He lived twenty-four more years and died suddenly, leaving a large family with little to sustain them.

    At the time of her father's death Lucy was thirteen years old. From all description she was a brilliant and beautiful girl — a leader in her mother's family and in the circle in which she moved. She began teaching school at fourteen years of age to help the family and married Heber J. Grant in her nineteenth year. She died at the age of thirty-five, leaving five daughters and a little son. For several years during her short life she was an invalid, bedfast for months at a time, but to the last she directed her household.

    Her photographs show that she possessed refinement, decision, and strength of character. She was intelligent and distinguished in personality and appearance — a beautiful woman. Rachel, her oldest daughter, pays this tribute in verse to her mother's eyes: Mother dear, my heart goes back Along the trail of yesteryears; I see again your valiant eyes Although my own are dim with tears.

    You could not stay with love to light My way when shadows should arise, But you could leave a gift divine, The memory of your valiant eyes. I now can see how brave you were, Your soul with bands of pain held fast, Yet in your flashing valiant eyes Was faith no shade could overcast. When weary with the strife of life My heavy hands would cease to fight, A vision of your valiant eyes Awakens courage for the right. When death shall come with beckoning hand And free my soul from earthly ties, One boon I crave from out the dusk-Love's greeting from your valiant eyes. Lucy, her second daughter, gives this interesting and intimate account of her mother.

    Her hair was almost black and very abundant. She wore it in the style of the day, with bangs in front and a high bob. Her features were marked and distinct, but her eyes were the loveliest I have ever seen. Many people who knew Mother have remarked what a fine-looking woman she was, so gracious and pleasing were her manners. He said those prayers had a deep influence for good upon his life.

    She did some pen and ink sketches which Father had framed, and they were in our house for years. I am sure if she had had the opportunity for even a little instruction she would have excelled in some of the fine arts.

    She was exceptionally kind and was greatly loved by all who worked in the home. Mother was an executive. She wasted no time. In the summer we had a sewing woman who made us a full winter wardrobe. Her work was all planned; Monday was washday; Tuesday, ironing day; Wednesday the basket of clothes which needed mending was by Mother's side; Friday was die day for sweeping and cleaning; and Saturday was also a cleaning day. During Mother's life we all seemed to have plenty of the necessities and comforts of life. There were men to milk die cows, take care of the grounds, and help around the house.

    A horse and surrey or a carriage was ready whenever we wanted one, as Father was interested in the livery stables. Theatre tickets were always available. Mother, however, did not turn us over to the hired help. It seemed to me she always knew where we were, and what we were doing. She took a special interest in all of our activities and in all of our friends. She made our home so pleasant and happy that we always loved to be there.

    I love to think back over those happy times when Mother sat under the gas light and we gadiered around while she read from the Youth's Companion, Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates, Little Lord Fauntleroy, or some of Louisa Alcott's works. We lived very simply with plenty of milk, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and raisins, wholewheat bread, and very little meat. She believed in the water cure. She had a great deal of literature which she studied on that cure.

    She practiced her skill on us, and while we hated to have the packs, I diink her method was very effective. If we didn't feel very well, she would give us lots and lots of cold and hot water to drink. She would prepare a pack for our whole body by wringing a sheet out of very hot water, spread it on a quilt, and have us lie down on the wet sheet. By the time we were all wrapped up in the sheet it would be getting rather cold, but it soon warmed up to a steaming temperature when she loaded us with quilts and down puffs. We stayed in it an hour even if we did plead to get out, because it was so unbearably hot.

    After we were out, she gave us an alcohol rub. It was very effective, but sometimes we felt the cure was worse than the disease. We readily agreed to it, but it was quite a chore. We had the horse to feed and curry, the barn to clean out, and the chore of hitching the horse to the cart. Once Flaxie, the horse, became too high-spirited, and Mother was afraid for us to drive him. We found we had not been exercising him enough, and feeding him too many oats.

    The oats were cut out of his diet temporarily. She didn't tell us very much about it. At fourteen she taught school at Granger. She lived with Charles and Margaret Spencer. They were Spencer Cornwall's grandparents. Aunt Margaret, as we called her, was always kind and thoughtful of Mother. For years she and Uncle Charley came every week with butter and eggs for us, and we often went to their home to spend the day during the summer months.

    After so many years of poverty, to have an abundance, and being able to help her brothers and sisters, and to give some of them a home, and to add to their happiness was a great joy to her. I believe one of the greatest pleasures of Father's life was doing nice things for his wives and family.

    He showered them with gifts. Mother had lovely jewelry, fine clothes, beautiful furniture and pictures in the home. Father said he would pay for the lessons if we would play for him whenever he asked us. This seemed a reasonable request, but occasionally when he had company, he would call us to play before we thought we were well enough prepared. I remember I would get Mother to put my hair up in rags, that was the way we made curls in those days, so I could be presentable when asked to come into the parlor to play.

    Her teachings were always a guide to the lives of her children who cherish forever her memory. Also to report to her that even though she was here with me but a short time, her teachings were indelibly impressed upon my young mind so that they have been a light to my path and have given me a desire to live in such a way that our meeting will be a joyous one, when I shall pass to the happy land where she and Father are waiting to greet us.

    Heber died in his seventh year and Edith, Mrs. Young, at the age of sixty- two, August 20, Augusta Winters Grant Although Augusta Winters Grant died in her ninety-fifth year, she was older by four months than her husband and older than Lucy Stringham or Emily Wells, his other wives.

    Augusta survived them all. This good man and these wonderful women lived the patriarchal order of marriage as only unselfish, and God-fearing people could do. These women, and all women like them, who subscribed to and lived this divine law belong to the elect of God, and their names will shine among the chosen ones when he comes to make up his jewels.

    Grant, wrote of her: With pardonable pride she traces back of her Mormon pioneer progenitors, Revolutionary stock from whom she is directly descended. Beyond these patriots in both her father's and mother's lines are sober-minded Puritans, and still farther back, in the time of Queen Mary, a predecessor who gave his life as a martyr for the Protestant cause. Arriving in Utah they settled in Pleasant Grove and he set about at once to make a home for his parents. They were unaware of his mother's death until they came to Salt Lake City expecting to meet her.

    Here they met the company with which she was traveling and learned for the first time the sad news of her death. Augusta's father and mother were both schoolteachers, and quite naturally she became a schoolteacher. It is interesting to note that Augusta was one of the first of the little community in which she lived to leave her home and attend an institution of higher learning.

    When she was sixteen, she went to the Brigham Young Academy, then known as the Timpanogos Academy, and afterwards to the University of Utah. She began to teach when very young. She would save what she could, go to school until her savings were exhausted, and then return to teaching. In this way she completed her training. She was graduated from the University of Utah in For two years she was principal of the Pleasant Grove School.

    She has this to say about her: She seemed to understand adolescent boys and girls and to realize that their restlessness is due in a measure to their quest for self-expression. Park, the president, to take charge of a department of the city schools in his first attempt to organize and grade them. Soon after she was made principal of the Seventeenth Ward Academy where many of her pupils were older than she was. Augusta taught school about ten years, and has many ex- pupils all over the state of Utah.

    She was born with a thirst for knowledge, and all her life she sought to satisfy it. When in New York, where her daughter Mary was attending Columbia University, she registered for a course. She was then nearly sixty years of age. Grant was one of the three women who in organized the Author's Club, whose object was a study of the best authors.

    She was also a charter member of the Friendship Circle.

    Find a copy in the library

    Both of these worth-while organizations are still active. While she was privileged to have but one daughter of her own, she also mothered nine other children. Six were her husband's and three her sister's. In addition to these, other nieces and nephews were given care and attention by this mother in her home and she assisted them in establishing themselves. She saw these young people grow to maturity, all happily married.

    Heber J. Grant : highlights in the life of great leader (Book, ) []

    This great and unselfish service on her part won the everlasting gratitude of these children and the praise and admiration of all who knew this noble woman. When she went into the home of her husband to rear the six motherless children of another wife, she recorded in her diary: Grant had an interesting philosophy of life which deeply influenced her career. While she was a young woman teaching school, she decided that she would "always like to do what she had to do and would never want anything she could not have. Always to like to do what you are compelled to do lifts one above the law of compulsion and reduces to practice the divine injunction "Whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile go with him twain.

    These precepts were fixed and guiding principles throughout her wonderful life. In the early '90's a board was established to further plans for a free kindergarten. Grant was secretary of this board and was active in free kindergarten work for a number of years. Until this time the only kindergartens were private ones, for which the parents paid tuition.

    During this period she made it a practice to go to the Temple once a week and kept up this duty until her health would no longer permit her to go. With all her winsome ways there was never a taint of vanity or self-conceit. Her charm, personality, quiet attire, fine tastes, and modest appearance, gave her an air of distinction which she herself never sought.

    With gifts and graces which qualified her for high public position she accepted only such offices and duties as would permit the full discharge of her domestic responsibilities. Grant traveled with the President widely and met many distinguished people, men and women eminent in science, in Church circles, in education, and in achievement. She was always ready at his instant call to take a voyage, to receive guests, or to make changes in plans.

    She was never frustrated. She was always peaceful, hopeful, self-reliant, and abundantly tactful. She was the ideal helpmate for her swift-moving, intensely active husband. She spent one year on a mission with her husband in Japan. President Grant, then an Apostle, with Louis B. Ensign, and Alma O.

    Taylor opened the Japanese Mission in At the end of a year President Grant returned to Salt Lake. When he went back to Japan, there were eighteen members in his party. Among them were Mrs. When asked to write of her husband for the Relief Society Magazine on the occasion of his eighty-fifth birthday, she said: She adhered to the truth, never exaggerated, was always helpful, steadfastly cheerful, quietly efficient and prayerful.

    The question with her was not what she could get, but rather what she could give. Grant met life's problems calmly, cheerfully, and fearlessly. She never did a rash or ill- considered thing. Serenity, refinement, intelligence, and wisdom seemed perfectly integrated in her wonderful life. All of these characteristics were reflected in her charming personality and shone in her lovely face. Augusta Grant, in character and countenance, was one of the most beautiful women of her day. Quietly and modestly she moved in her wide circle of friends, loving and being loved by all.

    Emily, one of a large family of brothers and sisters, grew to womanhood in a wholesome and happy environment. The Wells children were taught to work, to shun idleness, to improve their talents. Brilliant of mind, winsome in manner, graceful in accomplishments, Emily was a great favorite among the young people with whom she associated. She had a kind and understanding heart.

    She was a peacemaker, and hosts of friends came to her for advice and sympathy. Her father, Daniel H. Wells, belonged to the nobility of his day. He was a statesman, soldier, Church leader, and stood at the head of a distinguished family. Among his children were churchmen, military men, businessmen, artists, and writers — all honorable men and women, a credit to the state and nation. Wells gave his children all of the educational advantages of that period.

    They were among the aristocracy of their time. Grant, as his third wife. Her oldest daughter, Dessie, gives this interesting account: Mother and Aunt Lucy had grown up in the same community and had been friends for many years. On the other hand Mother had met Augusta Winters Grant, Father's second wife, only a few times before her marriage. This forced her to live away from home under an assumed name and never to disclose her identity. It was hard, but there were two things that made it possible; first, her conviction that she was doing the right thing and eventually everything would turn for the best.

    That was the faith that sustained her, which is a rare and marvelous gift. Second, her love for the man she had married. She felt that so long as he lived everything would be all right with her and with her children. Soon after her first wedding anniversary she sailed for England, where her father, Daniel H. Wells, was serving as president of the European Mission. In the mission home, at 42 Islington, Liverpool, her first child was born. During the twenty-two months she spent in England she took advantage of every opportunity to visit historic and interesting places. It was a never-ending thrill to walk the green lanes of England, to wander through its beautiful parks, to visit the birthplaces of such celebrities as Burns, Scott, Shakespeare, Byron, Goldsmith, and Thomas Moore.

    She reveled in the quaint shops of London and Liverpool and became an expert judge of linen, silverware, chinaware, and antiques. In associating with the missionaries and British Saints she found much pleasure. She had the happy companionship of her father and enjoyed the benefits of his wisdom and counsel. To be with him was next to being at home. All the while she was away she received, regularly and promptly, comforting letters from her devoted husband. Words cannot describe the happy days this family spent in their first real home. To associate with her brothers and sisters, to call upon her friends and entertain them in her own home, and to enjoy the companionship of her husband seemed a full compensation for all she had passed through.

    The happy days on First Avenue were marred by the death of her little son, Daniel Wells Grant, who died from pneumonia when he was three and a half years old. He was an unusual child, both physically and mentally, and his deadi was a blow from which his mother never seemed to recover. In the panic of , soon after the death of Daniel, the home at 61 First Avenue was sold. They had sustained the General Authorities and were announcing changes in appointments when she heard the words, "Heber J. Grant has been called to preside over the European Mission to succeed Francis M.

    He had already been away two years. Dessie and Grace were adolescents. Emily was but seven, and Frances four. Another three years of separation seemed more than she could bear. However, shortly after the meeting adjourned, he came hurrying into the house all smiles. He was delighted beyond words with the new appointment. She threw her arms around his neck and cried as if her heart would break, "I just can't bear another long separation," she sobbed. You and the children are going with me. They sailed from Boston on November 19, , on the S.

    President Grant took Emily, her four daughters, and Florence and Edith. Emily Grant and her daughters spent three years sight-seeing and studying. They went from one end of the British Isles to the other, and on the continent from Scandinavia to Italy. Florence and Edith stayed one year, and then they returned home. Traveling in those days was not expensive, and the Grants were never extravagant. Emily was the best traveler in the family.

    She was the first one up in the morning and the last one to go to bed at night. She was never too tired to go to an opera, concert, or play. They went to numerous operas, plays, concerts, and oratorios. They visited abbeys and cathedrals, art galleries and museums, parks and gardens, lakes, countrysides and seashore resorts. They saw the birthplaces of poets, writers and statesmen. They visited battlefields and famous monuments. Grant seemed to be the youngest member of the party. People often took her for one of the daughters. She was thin, had a youthful figure, and a quick step, and she hadn't a gray hair.

    Her charm and gracefulness made her attractive. People loved to be with her. The elders and sisters who helped in the office were devoted to her. The Saints loved her, and she was fond of the British people as she had been during her stay eighteen years before. She never tired of praising them and their glorious country. Her cheerfulness, wit, and good judgment made her company sought after.

    She often said, "I wish these years could go on forever. Upon their return the President and Mrs. Grant were better physically than they had ever been before. However, during the spring, Emily began to feel tired, then ill, and she couldn't imagine why. By August she was very ill. The following January they moved into the new house on the corner of B Street and Second Avenue, one of the finest in the city. But she was too ill to enjoy it. During her long and tedious illness she was brave, cheerful, and patient.

    She did not fear death. Her relatives and friends did everything they could for her recovery, hoping against hope, fasting and praying that the Lord would spare her life. But in spite of all that faith and medical science could do, she passed away on May 25, As we look back on her long illness, we realize that Father had not left a stone unturned to bring comfort and peace to her. His kindness and devotion to her were wonderful. We are proud to be their children. They taught us to love life, without fearing death; to be happy in the face of trials; to make our Heavenly Father our best friend.

    She has been gone many years, but she never seems far away. Her influence has guided our lives. Dessie married Ashby Douglas Boyle, an attorney. Grace married Isaac Blair Evans, also an attorney. Emily married Axel A. Madsen, a real estate broker; she died July 21, , following the birth of her youngest son. Grant, but if the record of his service to the Church were to be expunged, as broad and varied as his other interests were, there would be only a shadowy fragment left.

    His major interest centered in the Church; to it he gave his first allegiance. All other things were relegated to a secondary place. His faith in it and his loyalty to its institutions and its doctrines could never be questioned by anyone familiar with the facts. Here is the record: He was baptized June 22, ; ordained an elder at fifteen; a seventy at twenty; a high priest at twenty-four; president of the Tooele Stake of Zion at twenty-four; an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ at twenty-six; president of that quorum at sixty; President of the Church at sixty-two.

    The records also show that he was made a member of the presidency of the Thirteenth Ward Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, June 10, , which was tire first organization effected in the Church by Junius F. Wells, under the direction of President Brig-ham Young. Twenty-two years later in he became a member of the general superintendency of that organization, and in November of that year manager of The Improvement Era of which he was the principal founder.

    In December, , he became editor of that magazine. He served as a ward teacher in the Thirteenth Ward with Hamilton G. Park and frequently referred to this experience. All his days he cherished the companionship of that humble, yet remarkable man, whose testimony he so much appreciated. This was one of the faith-building experiences of his boyhood days.

    What an ideal combination it really is for a young man with little experience to accompany an older man with mature experience on a mission of such religious importance as ward teaching. Grant, a priest, and Hamilton G. Park, a high priest, were companions in the work of the Lord.